Having a goal or desire for something is in human nature and to fulfill our hunger we seek different paths starting at a young age. Whenever asked by our parents, teachers, or relatives; we already had made up our minds. What I am going to be in the future? This is probably the first time most of us have shared our thoughts on a goal at least it was for me. Growing into teenagers most of has figured out which specific field to study for our career and goals. Then the time comes, when we reach the borderline of our education and begin the career that we have been daydreaming about for past years. Till now we only possess theoretical knowledge, but the actual world is another side of the coin. I believe all of us must face that side of the world that is unknown to us and feels impossible to penetrate even for setting foot on that side. But there is a doorway to enter that world and gain insight into what I am going to tackle in my journey. That special door for us is an internship, a getaway to start our career and achieve our long-desired goals.
Experience is a crucial factor to start our career and employers love experience, I can bet you that. In the context of our country and around the world there is a vicious cycle of career opportunities and experience; for a job we need experience and for experience, we need a job. Even I faced that cycle which is one of the major issues for all beginners who want to start a career. That cycle can be broken by the gateway of the intern. We forgot one thing the company hires people as interns and at least who have experience as an intern in the related field for experienced related opportunities.
A. So why bother spending our time and effort on an internship?
An internship gives us an opportunity to practical knowledge and experience to build up and growth of our career goals. By doing an Internship we can cultivate skills and networks which eventually increase our chances of employability. Being almost a fresh graduate I decided to I applied for an internship in the company and landed my career job and here I'm moving towards my goals in full throttle. The internship is one of the best career investments you can make, you will get to meet new people, expose to work culture and environment, and get hands-on experience in related fields. This experience can even be a crucial factor to determine whether this industry suits me, whether this company is good for me, and whether this is the manager I want to work for. Most people ignore the internship just because they think the time they spent on it is not worth it, but in the end, the benefit is going to outweigh the time and effort spent.
1.The first step for your dream career: You hear it right; the best way to start your dream career is to get an internship. Internship is wonderful experience that let you decide whether you want to make dream into reality. Internships are excellent ways to implement classroom knowledge in a real-world environment. Learning is not enough in the practical world; the real deal is to apply that knowledge and skills & how can you benefit in your career advancement.
2. Develop your professional network: Likewise, a work experience network remains forever valuable to anyone. An internship gives an opportunity to make acquaintances with various professionals which gives them even more possible chances to kick-start their careers. If an intern is the exceptional company may hire them or refer them to their network.
3. Get experience to stand out: In the crowd of fresher's market experience is a rare commodity to sell to an employer and organization. We talk a lot about the experience but having an outstanding specific work experience from a recognized organization is even more beneficial. Having good experience to talk about could give you a significant advantage over other graduates applying for the same job and gain a competitive edge.
4. Numbers don’t lie: According to a 2016 National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) survey, more than 56 percent of graduating seniors reported taking part in at least one internship. Of those respondents, 56 percent were paid, while 44 percent were unpaid. Overall, just over 46 percent of 2016 graduates received a job offer before graduation.
5. Enhance yourself: Always trying to be a better version of yourself and exploring even more potential is vital for anybody. Development of both soft and hard skills is possible due to the internship programs; an intern having those skills can even further refine them. Some soft skills to be successful are as emotional intelligence, good communication, decision making, integrity, focus, and balanced life. Those skills are essential as hard skills because both are the sides of a coin. An employer decides to hire someone based on the soft as well as hard skills of the candidate, that’s why skills are crucial to living in a professional environment.
6. Build Confidence: As an intern, you can test out your new skills in an environment that is not as stressful as a permanent job. The organization expects you to be learning during your internship, so you will not feel pressured to perform well. This relieves stress and allows you to develop confidence in your abilities. You will learn more about yourself and know what you are capable of, which will make it easier for you when it is time to move into a permanent position.
B. We have talked about the significance of internship but let us consider for the moment what a good internship program looks like:
C. How do you get an internship?
In conclusion, an internship is a catalyst that breaks the cycle of jobs-experience and the wall standing between us and our careers. Moreover, internships can help us to explore ourselves which guides us in selecting the right career goals. From my point of view, the internship program should be paid for at least the traveling, and food expenses should be covered by the company because of the effort and time invested by the individual. Internships are vital for anyone who wants to get ahead in their career. Internships are great ways to get your foot in the door while increasing self-esteem and starting your professional career on a low-risk path with more opportunities. This is why it's important to take an internship as a fresh graduate.
By Tapesh Kushmi Tharu
Recruitment Executive at Jobs Sniper Pvt. Ltd.